Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewActive and passive safety: Latest Mercedes cutting-edge technology as standard equipmentAt a glance: New features of the CLS-ClassChassis: Adaptive brakes with support functions for increased safety and comfortCLS 63 AMG: A unique blend of power and designEngines: World premieres of a new direct petrol injection system and of a more powerful eight-cylinder engineMercedes-Benz CLS-Class: Pioneering engines and safety technology for model year 2007Model range and equipment: Coupé for the aficionado even more innovative and valuableTechnical data: Mercedes-Benz CLS-Class
May 2, 2006
- Three out of four engines newly developed
- Outputs range from 165 kW/224 hp to 378 kW/514 hp
- Outstanding safety with PRE-SAFE® as standard
The 4-door CLS-Class Coupé launched in October 2004 puts Mercedes-Benz ahead of its time by a coupé generation. Never before have two different automotive personalities been united so consistently and elegantly in one car: the stylistic fascination and the strong emotional charisma of a coupé harmonise with the comfort and the functionality of a saloon. The CLS-Class has therefore established itself as a coupé for connoisseurs - a car for more dynamically minded drivers who are looking for something special and can appreciate it.
Passion and rationality are equally important objectives of these discerning Mercedes customers. The enthusiasm for elegant proportions and high-quality materials goes hand-in-hand with a delight in modern, uncompromising technology. The CLS-Class satisfies both expectations with characteristic Mercedes quality, and it will provide further special technical features meeting this high standard beginning in mid-2006 - groundbreaking innovations like the new direct-injection petrol engine with spray-guided combustion, the PRE-SAFE® anticipatory passenger-safety system and the adaptive brake lights that are unique to Mercedes-Benz.
The model range of the CLS-Class continues to include four engine variants - and three of them are new developments:
- The CLS 320 CDI is equipped with the latest-generation 165 kW/224 hp V6 diesel engine, which will now generate even more torque: 540 Nm instead of the previous 510. The engine offers the highest level of dynamic diesel driving enjoyment with a fuel consumption of only 7.6 to 8.1 litres (combined): the CLS 320 CDI accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 7.0 seconds. This model costs 56,434 euro ex works.
- The CLS 350 CGI offers the world's first direct-injection petrol engine with spray-guided combustion. This technology permits fuel savings of approximately ten percent in the NEDC cycle. The newly developed engine delivers 15 kW/20 hp more than the previous CLS 350 with port injection and burns only 9.1 to 9.3 litres of premium-grade petrol per 100 kilometres. The direct-injection petrol model will be available in the third quarter of 2006 in western Europe and costs 58,232 euros ex works.
- The CLS 500 is being launched with the 285 kW/388 hp eight-cylinder engine from the S-Class. The output of the newly developed engine is about 26 percent higher than that of the previous eight-cylinder powerplant; the maximum torque has risen by 15 percent to 530 Nm. This means the new CLS 500 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 5.4 seconds and is 0.7 seconds faster than the predecessor model. The price of the new flagship V8 model is 71,282 euros (ex works).
- The CLS 63 AMG is powered by the new 6.3-litre V8 engine developed entirely by Mercedes AMG. With an output of 378 kW/514 hp and a maximum torque of 630 Nm, the AMG power pack guarantees the driving performance of a thoroughbred sports car: The CLS 63 AMG accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in only 4.5 seconds. The 4-door AMG Coupé costs 101,094 euros ex works.
All engines of the CLS-Class come equipped as standard with the 7G-TRONIC seven-speed automatic transmission. In the manual driving mode, the driver has the option of using new gear paddles conveniently located on the steering wheel to change gears more smoothly and quickly than before. With these, the 4-door Coupé accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h about 0.2 seconds faster.
Standard equipment: big gain in safety and comfort
Mercedes-Benz is enhancing the already extensive range of standard features in the CLS-Class, thereby increasing the safety and comfort of the 4-door Coupé. PRE SAFE®, for example, a milestone of passenger car safety, will be offered as standard equipment in the CLS models. The PRE-SAFE® system, winner of a number of awards, forms a bridge between active and passive safety and thus marks the beginning of a new era in occupant protection.
The adaptive brake lights, which flash rapidly to warn the drivers behind a car in which the driver has applied emergency braking, is a new Mercedes invention for accident avoidance that will also come as standard equipment in the CLS-Class. Similarly, ADAPTIVE BRAKE, the newly developed braking system from the S-Class, uses additional support functions to provide a further gain in driving safety and help the driver with hill starts.
The other new details that further enhance the driving comfort of the CLS-Class include the following:
- The rain sensor, which comes as standard and now has two manually adjustable sensitivity levels
- The THERMATIC automatic climate control system, which comes as standard equipment and now has a digital display for improved operation
- The newly developed luxury head restraints for the front seats, available on request in conjunction with the ventilated luxury seats. The side bolsters of these luxury head restraints are movable and can be adjusted manually, allowing passengers to rest their heads in the most relaxed position.
designo Editions: exclusive appointments as a package
For the more discerning customers, Mercedes-Benz offers two special packages from the designo range that contain high-value appointment features at one favourable inclusive price:
- designo Edition I contains interior trim in matt burr walnut and a roof lining in anthracite Alcantara. The wood and leather steering wheel also features matt burr walnut. The seats and door centre panels are upholstered in fine designo leather in a sand tone; the centre sections of the seats are in black nappa leather. The brushed stainless steel sports pedals are another eye-catcher.
- designo Edition II contains wood trim in black bird's-eye maple and an anthracite-coloured roof lining in Alcantara. Mercedes designers have chosen the designo porcelain-coloured leather for the seats and door centre panels. Among other details, this designo package is rounded off with a wood and leather steering wheel in black bird's-eye maple and black floormats with leather trim.