Under the microscope: expertise network: Bundling Expertise and Securing Know-How

In addition to its internal development and production expertise and its modular strategy for alternative drive systems, part of Daimler AG's philosophy is to ensure that it has direct access to key components for electromobility. Through its wholly owned subsidiary Deutsche ACCUMOTIVE, Daimler has extensive know-how when it comes to the development and production of highly complex drive batteries. NuCellSys is a global leader in the development of fuel cell systems and hydrogen storage systems for vehicle applications. The expertise network also includes joint ventures, for example with Bosch for electric motors (EM-motive) and with Ford for the development for fuel cell stacks (AFCC), but also as a partner with H2 Mobility GmbH in order to build up the hydrogen infrastructure.

On track for growth: Daimler is currently investing 500 million euros in the construction of a second battery plant in Germany, significantly increasing the capacities of Deutsche ACCUMOTIVE GmbH & Co. KG for the production of lithium ion batteries. ACCUMOTIVE, which was founded in 2009, is a wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG with facilities in Kirchheim/Nabern (R&D) and Kamenz (production). The company develops and markets highly complex drive batteries for hybrid and electric vehicles based on lithium-ion technology that are used in models of the Mercedes-Benz and smart brands. Since production started in 2012, more than 75,000 lithium-ion batteries have been delivered. The Daimler subsidiary has more than 420 employees, including 330 in Kamenz. From 2017, all of the battery systems for Mercedes-Benz and smart will be provided by Deutsche ACCUMOTIVE.

Daimler got involved in the new line of business with stationary battery storage in 2015, and has opened up additional opportunities to grow outside the automotive sector. Its subsidiary "Mercedes-Benz Energy GmbH", which was only founded recently, is taking over the development and global distribution of stationary energy storage for the Mercedes-Benz brand with immediate effect. Please refer to chapter "Stationary energy storage facilities“.

Embase, a joint venture between Daimler AG, The Mobility House AG and GETEC, is set to commence operation of the world's largest 2nd use battery storage facility this year in Lünen in the Westphalia region of Germany. Used systems from second-generation smart electric drive vehicles are combined to create a stationary storage facility and marketed on the German primary regulation energy market.

EM-motive is a joint venture between Daimler AG and Robert Bosch GmbH aimed at developing and producing electric motors. EM-motive GmbH's registered offices and production facilities are in Hildesheim, while its development function is based in Ludwigsburg near Stuttgart. The motors have been used in various electric and hybrid vehicles since 2012, and EM-motive currently supplies the 80 kW electric motor for the new Mercedes-Benz E 350 e, for example.

NuCellSys GmbH is based in Kirchheim/Nabern in the Stuttgart metropolitan area. The wholly owned subsidiary of Daimler AG is a global leader in the development of fuel cell and hydrogen storage systems for vehicle applications. The company is responsible for system development and design, component and software development, and system validation. The fuel cell systems for existing cars (A- and B-Class) and buses were built in a small series production at NuCellSys GmbH. In addition, the operation of the current Mercedes-Benz B-Class F-CELL fleet and the care of H2 infrastructure projects are in the response of NuCellSys.

By founding the multi-sectoral joint venture H2 MOBILITY Deutschland GmbH & Co.KG in 2015, the six industrial companies Air Liquide, Daimler, Linde, OMV, Shell and Total paved the way for the gradual expansion of the Germany-wide network of hydrogen (H2) filling stations to up to 400 stations by the year 2023.

Daimler AG holds a majority share of 50.1 percent in "Automotive Fuel Cell Cooperation" (AFCC) in Burnaby to the East of Vancouver in Canada. The technological leader for research and development of fuel cell stacks for automotive applications was founded in 2008. The remaining share of 49.9% is held by the Ford Motor Company.

The stacks are also produced in the immediate vicinity of AFCC at Mercedes-Benz Fuel Cell (MBFC), which operates the world's first plant dedicated entirely to the production and assembly of fuel cell stacks in British Columbia. MBFC started production back in June 2012.

Loading