Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
Model range: Peak of perfection
OverviewAt a glance: Technical highlights of the new S-Class*Body and Passive Safety: New MasterpieceChassis: Solid FoundationDesign: Effortless styleDriver assistance systems: Intelligent co-pilotsEngines and transmission: Strong performanceInterior: Man and machine in harmonyModel range: Peak of perfectionTechnical data S-ClassThe new Mercedes-Benz S-Class: Superlative in design and technology
- Technological pacemaker equipped with a dozen innovations
- Six-, eight- and twelve-cylinder engines developing up to 380 kW/517 hp
- New and further improved high-tech systems fitted as standard
- Twelve-cylinder S 600 specified as standard with active suspension
- AMG bodystyling and designo equipment packages for added individuality
A new generation at the cutting edge of automotive technology – Mercedes-Benz presents the new S-Class.
The new top-of-the-line model range from Mercedes-Benz is once again a technological pacemaker, with pioneering innovations geared to enhanced safety, comfort and practicality. Like their predecessors, the new models will influence the future of automotive development.
Production of the new S-Class's successful predecessor, which began in 1998, totalled approximately 500,000 units, making this the best-selling luxury saloon model of all time. Along the way the previous S-Class picked up some four dozen international prizes and awards. It was repeatedly voted "best car", "most innovative saloon and "best-looking car in the world". It also won the German "Federal Product Design Award".
So the advances achieved by Mercedes-Benz in the new S-Class start from a high baseline. Approximately a dozen technical innovations are going into volume production for the first time in this new model. The fascinating design language meanwhile conveys assurance, self-confidence and elegance right from the start. It sets trends for the future and defines a new Mercedes-Benz style.
The new luxury saloon from Mercedes-Benz is also quick to impress with its new dimensions in ride comfort. Every trip is an experience to remember – for all the senses. With its luxurious fine wood and chrome trim, attractively contoured aluminium controls and carefully coordinated colours, the interior ambience produces an immediate feeling of wellbeing. The dashboard, with its sophisticated, sweeping lines, is yet another masterpiece by the Mercedes designers, for whom form and function are ideals which share equal status. Accordingly the cockpit not only conveys a feeling of security, but is also excellently laid-out and practical.
The new S-Class offers customers a choice of two body versions and four engines. At launch, in autumn 2005, two petrol-engined models will be available: the S 350 and S 500. The six-cylinder S 320 CDI diesel model and the V12 S 600 will follow in the first quarter of 2006. Power ratings will then extend from 173 kW/235 hp through to 380 kW/517 hp. The V6 and V8 models are also available in a version with 130 millimetres longer wheelbase. The S 600 is available in the long-wheelbase version only.
Standard equipment: nothing but the best
New and further improved high-tech systems geared to enhanced safety and comfort are specified as standard on the new S-Class. They include the ADAPTIVE BRAKE, second-generation PRE-SAFE®, AIRMATIC air suspension with Adaptive Damping System, twelve-way power-adjustable seats, the COMAND system with DVD player, the DIRECT SELECT gearshift and automatic climate control. Highlights of the standard equipment list include:
- Adaptive driver and passenger airbags
- Adaptive brake light
- AIRMATIC with Adaptive Damping System
- 7G-TRONIC automatic transmission (for V6 and V8 models)
- Brake Assist
- ADAPTIVE BRAKE
- COMAND system with CD/DVD player and PCMCIA slot
- Diesel particulate filter (for S 320 CDI)
- DIRECT SELECT gearshift
- Electric parking brake
- Belt force limiters on front and outer rear seats
- Belt tensioners on all seats
- Automatic climate control
- 17-inch seven-spoke light-alloy wheels
- Multifunction steering wheel
- Speed-sensitive steering
- Two-stage rain sensor
- Tyre pressure loss warning system
- Front and outer rear seatbelts with automatic comfort-fit feature
- Sidebags front and rear
- Front seats with lumbar supports and electric adjustment for height and longitudinal position
The standard specification of the V8 S 500 includes additional top-level features such as:
- Tinted, sound-insulating, infrared-reflecting laminated glass all round
- Automatically dimming rear-view mirror and driver's side exterior mirror
- Leather upholstery
- 17-inch 5-spoke light-alloy wheels
- Memory package for front seats, steering wheel and exterior mirrors
- Metallic paintwork
- Heated front seats
Additional standard specification on the long-wheelbase version of the new S-Class includes:
- Leather upholstery
- Roller blind for rear windscreen, electrically operated
- Tilting/sliding gass sunroof, electric, with PRE-SAFE® function
- Front passenger seat electrically adjustable from the rear
- Rear seat bench with electrically adjustable outer seats; outer seats and outer head restraints with PRE-SAFE® positioning function
- Heated front and rear seats
AMG bodystyling for the S-Class creates an even more powerful and dynamic look
Two optional packages from Mercedes-AMG - AMG bodystyling and AMG light-alloy wheels – give the new S-Class an even sportier and more distinctive look. The AMG equipment features give this potent yet elegant top-of-the-line Mercedes model series an even greater air of power and authority.
AMG bodystyling, consisting of front and rear aprons and side skirts, is designed in the typical AMG mould: at the front, the restyled bumper with large air intakes, black honeycomb grille and chrome-rimmed fog lamps all add to the sporty theme and give the new "made by AMG" S-Class an even wider and lower-slung appearance. The distinctively styled side skirts continue the lines of the front apron and provide a link between the front apron and the rear apron. At the rear, the styling comes to a powerful conclusion in the striking bumper design, with further highlights provided by two large, oval, chromed AMG tailpipes (not for the S 320 CDI and S 600).
The new 19 and 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels, available in two different 5-spoke designs, likewise follow a sporty theme. The high-sheen 19-inch AMG wheels are 8.5 J x 19 at the front, with 255/40 R 19 wide-base tyres, and 9.5 J x 19 at the rear, with 275/40 R 19 tyres. The sterling-silver 20-inch AMG light-alloy wheels which will be available from spring 2006 are size 8.5 J x 20 at the front and 9.5 J x 20 at the rear and carry 255/35 R 20 and 275/35 R 20 tyres. As well as filling the wheel arches perfectly and being decidedly sporty in appearance, the AMG alloy wheels also provide further enhanced handling characteristics.
AMG bodystyling and the handsome AMG light-alloy wheels are available for all engine versions and both wheelbase versions of the new Mercedes-Benz S-Class.
designo: individually tailored range of colours, leather and select woods
Available from spring 2006, the designo interior equipment packages cater for even the most demanding customer tastes. They enhance the interior of the new S-Class with specially chosen combinations of designo leather upholstery and designo trim parts. Two different "Editions" are available:
- The designo Edition I equipment package puts the accent on contrast: the very soft pastel yellow designo aniline leather on the seats and armrests com-bines with trim parts in deep-black high-gloss piano laquer and the Alcantara roof lining in anthracite to create unusual highlights in a predominantly black interior.
- designo Edition II creates a tasteful lounge atmosphere. This classic combination consists of designo aniline leather upholstery in armagnac, high-class trim parts in designo natural maple grain and the Alcantara roof lining in anthracite.
In both Editions, the seats comprise distinctive ten-rib vertical fluting, double top-stitching and designo metal badges in the front and rear backrests. The designo equipment packages also include black velour floor mats with edging in black designo leather and designo metal badges.
The designo equipment packages are available for both the V6 and the V8 models in the new S-Class. It is also possible to configure a designo interior individually, from a wide range of paint colours, leather colours and trim parts.