Please wait a moment ...
Please wait a moment ...
OverviewA museum with "five-star" aspirationsA tornado for smoke ventilationA treasure trove of mobilityAnniversary quotesArchitecture at the physical limitsFacts & FiguresHighlights 2000 to 2015History of the Mercedes-Benz Museum before 2006History of the Mercedes-Benz Museum since 2006Logistics and technical facilitiesSpectacular vehicle installationTen years in its new home
Feb 12, 2016
2000 up to and including 2005
- August 2000: Decision in favour of the Untertürkheim location.
- 2000: Formulation of spatial and technical requirements.
- 2001: Competitive tender with ten international architectural studios.
- January 2002: The design by UNStudio Ben van Berkel and Caroline Bos emerges the winner.
- May 2003: Construction work begins.
- 17 September 2003: Foundation stone laid.
- March 2005: Topping-out ceremony.
- October 2005: Placement of the exhibits begins.
- 23 December 2005: All exhibits are in place.
- 19 May: Opening of the Mercedes-Benz Museum.
- June/July: During the football World Cup, Mercedes-Benz World in the immediate vicinity of the stadium accommodates an official appurtenance of the federal state of Baden-Württemberg. The Museum is also a central meeting place.
- 31 October: 500,000 visitors.
- End of November: The Museum hosts the "Bambi" award ceremony of Hubert Burda Media. A parade of black S-Class cars brings the celebrities up to the red carpet.
- 4 November: The motorsport event "Stars & Cars" is held for the first time in and around the new Museum, with around 50,000 visitors.
- A total of 650,000 visitors from May to December. 7200 groups, of which more than 2100 are school classes.
- 861,981 visitors – the year with the most visitors to date.
- 15 June: The one-millionth visitor is welcomed. The total by 2007 is more than 1.5 million visitors.
- 10 to 26 August: 1st Open Air Cinema at the Mercedes-Benz Museum, with 5300 visitors.
- Mid-October: The Guinness Book of Records confirms the "Tornado" in the Mercedes-Benz Museum to be the world's highest artificially created whirlwind, with a height of 34.4 metres.
- Some of the awards: Architectural award for "Exemplary barrier-free construction 2007" (December); red dot Design Award (for the Museum's internet site and the presentational concept); Grand Prix de L’Architecture at the XXII. Festival Automobile International.
- 8 August: The Mercedes-Benz Museum is declared to be an official annexe of Stuttgart's registry office for the first time. It is also a popular location for wedding photos – numerous couples even travel there from other federal states.
- 21 October to 1 November: Premiere of the "Star Nights" – the gourmet event in the "Casino" on the uppermost level of the Mercedes-Benz Museum, with a breathtaking view of the exhibition and the surrounding landscape.
- 8000 visitors to the Museum in one day – during "Stars & Cars" on 8 November.
- Results for the year: Visitor numbers exceed all expectations and plans. More than 2.2 million people have visited the Museum since May 2006.
- Some of the awards: Golden Design Award by the Federal Republic of Germany in gold (February); Architectural Concrete Award 2008 (June).
- 3 February to 27 September: "E-Class Evolution" – the first special exhibition at the Mercedes-Benz Museum, in Collection room 5.
- 6 to 18 October: Special presentation of the brand-new Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG on the Museum's roof terrace, at a height of 42 metres. 38,000 visitors admire the car and the view.
- 3 November to 21 March 2010: Special exhibition: "History of Innovations" with 9 vehicles from the Benz Patent Motor Car to the S 400 Hybrid.
- 28 November: First model car collector's fair.
- 2009: Over the year, the proportion of visitors from other countries has now reached 15 percent. They come from 150 countries.
- One of the awards: Hugo-Häring Award for exemplary buildings in Baden-Württemberg (July).
- January: Premiere of the special automobile workshops for children.
- Visits from the sporting world: MERCEDES AMG PETRONAS presents its newly formed Formula 1 team in the Mercedes-Benz Museum. The German Football Association introduces its cadre for the World Cup.
- 3 April: The 3 million visitor mark is exceeded.
- 27 April to 29 August: Special exhibition: "Super sports cars".
- 17 to 25 July: The jazzopen stuttgart is staged at the Museum for the first time.
- 3 to 8 August: The Week of Helpers, with a display of historic fire-fighting vehicles. The "Tornado" smoke ventilation system with the world's largest whirlwind is demonstrated.
- 3 December: First day for the physically handicapped, including special guided tours, events and presentations. The entire Museum and its outside areas are barrier-free.
- 5 October: The Mercedes-Benz Museum welcomes its three-millionth visitor.
- Considerable increase in visitors from other countries: 27 percent of visitors come from abroad – practically doubling the figure for 2009.
- December: Digital Museum guide as an app.
- Grand anniversary year for Daimler AG: 125 Years of the Automobile – with numerous additional programmes and events in the Mercedes-Benz Museum.
- From 30 January: Legend room 6 is redesigned, and now dedicated to the future of the automobile.
- 10 May to 25 September: "Art & Stars & Cars" – the largest special exhibition held in the Museum to date. More than 250 works of art from the Daimler Art Collection by 120 internationally well-known artists are displayed throughout the Museum.
- 26 June: Premiere of "Cars & Coffee", the relaxed Sunday meeting point during the summer for lovers of classic cars of all brands.
- 5/6 September: To round off the season, the Open Air Cinema takes the form of a drive-in cinema with 50 Mercedes-Benz vehicles. Tickets are sold out very quickly for both days.
- 5 October: The Museum welcomes its four-millionth visitor.
- Results for the year: The visitors come from 175 countries. China overtakes the USA to come 2nd in the countries of origin. Since then the first three rankings have been: Germany – China – USA.
- From 6 December: Six spaces in the Museum's multi-storey carpark are now equipped with electric charging points.
- 24 January to 26 August: The special exhibition "Timeless – 60 Years of the Mercedes-Benz SL" is opened in the presence of Eugen Böhringer on his 90th birthday.
- 2 June: The outer facade of the Museum becomes a gigantic projection screen – the Intel Ultrabook 3D Tour has come to call, and demonstrates the possibilities offered by high-quality computer graphics.
- 10 July: Visit by Prince Albert II and Charlène of Monaco.
- 10 October 2012 to 6 January 2013: Special exhibition - "Mille Miglia – Passion and Rivalry".
- 13 to 28 November: Tenth occasion of the popular gourmet event "Star Nights".
- In a poll conducted by the German National Tourist Board, the Mercedes-Benz Museum is the only automobile museum to be voted into the Top 50 German tourist attractions.
- 17 January: The Mercedes-Benz Museum is awarded the "Golden Wheelchair" in further recognition of its barrier-free layout.
- 22 February: The Museum welcomes its five-millionth visitor.
- 19 March: Performance by XAVAS (Xavier Naidoo and Kool Savas) on the concert stage in the atrium.
- 6 May: As part of the Germany Travel Mart™ 2013, the Mercedes-Benz Museum hosts the so far largest evening event with 1200 guests.
- 4 June: The king of the Netherlands, King Willem-Alexander, visits the Museum with his wife Máxima.
- 18 June to 3 November: More than 173,000 people visit the special exhibition "Mercedes-Benz S-Class – always ahead of its time".
- 25 to 30 June: Second "Week of Helpers" – including a nation-wide meeting of fire engine collectors. They bring 85 vehicles.
- "120 Years of Motorsport" is the year's major theme for Mercedes-Benz Classic – with the Museum at the centre of events.
- 3 February: During the "Night of Stars", more than 120 star chefs conjure up exquisite dishes to the delight of hundreds of guests.
- 5 to 9 March: Radio play thriller week.
- 12 April: The atrium provides the concert stage for a live session with rapper Samy Deluxe.
- 10 June to 2 November: Special exhibition for the C-Class - "Engineering and Design".
- 12 July: First auction of exclusive Mercedes-Benz vehicles in cooperation with the auction house Bonhams. 50 classics are auctioned, raising more than € 12 million.
- 25 July: The Museum welcomes its six-millionth visitor.
- 12 November to 6 January 2015: Outside the Museum, the quaint "Cannstatt Hut" tempts visitors to enjoy its rustic local dishes.
- 28 March: Another 40 vehicles find buyers at the Mercedes-Benz Bonhams Auction. The highlight is the auctioning of a Mercedes-Benz 540 K Cabriolet A for € 2.76 million.
- 28 April to 15 November: The special exhibition "C 111 – timeless and visionary" attracts around 200,000 visitors.
- 10 June: For its web series "Museum Monday", the Mercedes-Benz Museum receives the German award for online communication in the "Online Video Channel" category.
- Summer: The Open Air Cinema has 10,262 visitors – the highest number to date for this event. One quarter of the tickets are already sold within 24 hours of the box office opening.
- "Cars & Coffee" continues to be a success story in the summer programme: On one Sunday in July the event is attended by a record number of 140 parking and 220 parading vehicles.
- October: Silver award for the web series "Museum Monday" in the 2016 Annual Multimedia Awards (Online Video Channel category).
- 3 November: The Museum exceeds the 7 million visitor mark.
- 1 December: The special exhibition "Safety Cars" (until 17 April 2016) is opened in the presence of Safety Car driver Bernd Mayländer.
- 2015 is the second-most successful year, with 772,750 visitors. The onrush was only greater in the year after the Museum opened. 43 percent of the visitors come from other countries. China has the most visitors (9 percent), followed by the USA, France, Switzerland, Italy, Russia, Spain, India, Poland and Japan. Total number of visitors from 19 May 2006 to the end of 2015: exactly 7,123,350 (as of 31.12.2015).
- The number of Museum fans in the social media also grows constantly: The Museum has more than 400,000 followers on Facebook and more than 100,000 on Instagram @mercedesbenzclassic. The five episodes of the web video "Museum Monday" are followed by 2.6 million people on Facebook.
- 19 May: Ten years of the Mercedes-Benz Museum.
- 4/5 June: Grand anniversary weekend with numerous attractions and programme events for fans and families.