The new EQS: ENERGIZING COMFORT
ENERGIZING COMFORT reaches the next level in the EQS: the three ENERGIZING NATURE programmes Forest Glade, Sounds of the Sea and Summer Rain, are also new. These provide an immersive and impressively realistic on-board sound experience. These calming sounds were created in consultation with the acoustic ecologist Gordon Hempton. As with the other ENERGIZING COMFORT programmes, other senses are addressed with lighting moods and images. A new feature of the short sleep programme during a break is the expanded conditioning of the interior: It closes the roller blind of the panoramic sliding sunroof (optional extra) and moves the driver's seat into the rest position. This creates an atmosphere that is conducive to sleeping. The power nap can increase the driver's performance and give him/her new energy.
The new ENERGIZING NATURE programmes at a glance:
- Forest Glade: can help to escape the noisy daily routine and boost concentration. Birdsong, rustling leaves and a gentle breeze create a feel-good ambience. The programme is rounded off by warm music soundscapes and subtle fragrancing.
- Sounds of the Sea: can have a positive and relaxing effect through the combination of soft music soundscapes, wave sounds and seagull sounds. Warms and cools at the same time with the soothingly slow rhythm of the ocean waves combined with blasts of air from the air conditioning system.
- Summer Rain: can serve as an acoustic oasis in noisy traffic, cooling and calming with sounds of raindrops on leafy canopies, distant thunder, pattering rain and ambient music soundscapes.
The sounds are based on the audio library "Quiet Planet", which the nature acoustician Gordon Hempton has created over the years. The Mercedes-Benz sound design department has arranged the sounds into ten-minute pieces and mixed them for the in-car experience. Individual musical compositions enhance the overall impression of the sounds of nature and their calming effect.
Power Nap: short recovery programme for the driver during a break
During a break in the journey, e.g. at a service area or charging station, the Power Nap programme can be selected. The programme has three phases - falling asleep, staying asleep, waking up - and can increase the driver's performance and give them new energy. A new feature of the short sleep programme during a break is the expanded conditioning of the interior: the EQS ensures a sleep-promoting atmosphere by moving the driver's seat into a rest position, closing the side windows and roller blinds, activating the ionisation of the fresh and recirculating air and adjusting the ambient lighting accordingly. Soothing sounds and the depiction of a starry sky on the central display support falling asleep - if Power Nap has been started for the front passenger seat, this also appears on the front passenger display.
Waking up is accompanied by a pleasantly activating soundscape, appropriate fragrancing as well as a briefly active, subtle massage and seat ventilation. Finally, the seat is raised again and the roller blind in the roof liner is opened. This ends the programme and returns the driver to the task of driving.
ENERGIZING COMFORT and ENERGIZING COACH: comfortable travel while staying fit
The ENERGIZING COMFORT range in the EQS builds on the further advanced system of the S-Class. In addition to the three new ENERGIZING NATURE programmes, it thus includes the programmes Freshness, Warmth, Vitality, Joy and Comfort as well as Training and ENERGIZING Tips.
Visualisation benefits from active ambient lighting and large screens with high-resolution animations. Passengers can join a programme in progress from their seat ("Join" mode) or suggest their own programme to other passengers ("Share" mode). The voice assistant "Hey Mercedes" is integrated. A statement such as "I am stressed", for example, automatically triggers the Joy programme with regenerative character. If the driver says "I'm tired", he/she is prompted to take a break and ENERGIZING COMFORT starts the Vitality programme.
The ENERGIZING COACH is based on an intelligent algorithm. It recommends the Freshness, Warmth, Vitality or Joy programme depending on the situation and individual. If the Mercedes-Benz vivoactive® 3 smartwatch, the Mercedes-Benz Venu® smartwatch or another compatible Garmin® wearable is linked, personal values such as stress level or sleep quality optimise the precision of the recommendation. Via the Mercedes me App, the smartwatch sends vital data of the wearer to the ENERGIZING COACH, e.g. pulse rate, stress level and sleep quality. The recommended comfort programme can be started directly from the suggestion in the form of a notification in the MBUX system. The aim is to ensure that the driver feels well and relaxed even during demanding or monotonous journeys. In addition, the pulse rate recorded by the integrated Garmin® wearable is shown in the central display.
Two ENERGIZING packages are offered for the EQS. The package contents:
- The ENERGIZING Package Front includes ENERGIZING COMFORT, ENERGIZING COACH, AIR-BALANCE Package, driver and front passenger seat climate control, steering wheel heating and the Multi-Contour Seat Package.
- The ENERGIZING Package Rear extends the ENERGIZING comfort control to the rear seats. It includes the Rear Seat Comfort Package, Rear Seat Package and Rear Seat Entertainment Plus.
 This package requires the ENERGIZING Package Front and other optional extras.