Exterior design: superior sportiness and modernity
With its puristic design emphasising surfaces, the A-Class Saloon is hot and cool at the same time, and thereby is a seamless fit with the design idiom of Sensual Purity. This includes the clear formal shapes emphasising surface areas with reduced lines and precise gaps. The new A-Class Saloon has the proportions of a dynamic and compact saloon car with short front and rear overhangs.
The greenhouse which sits far back and the compact rear end lend the vehicle a formal dynamic boost. Thanks to the 16 to 19-inch wheels and the pronounced wheel arches, the A-Class Saloon has a sporty stance on the road.
The front end design looks very progressive. Contributing to this impression are the low, elongated bonnet, the slimline headlamps with chrome element, the torch-like daytime driving lights - plus the single-louvre diamond radiator grille with chrome pins (optional), and the central star.
The muscular and sensual vehicle shoulder with a precise character line running below it emphasises the perfectly contoured side volume. The side mirrors sit on the beltline.
The two-part tail lamps underscore the clear rear end that emphasises width. The rear reflectors were relocated to the modular two-part rear bumper. Depending on the selected equipment, this rear bumper is available with a black diffuser or with chrome trim strip and chrome tailpipe tips.
Here are the design details of the individual equipment lines:
- Production model: Radiator grille with individual louvres and central star, outside mirror flap painted in the vehicle colour, 16-inch steel wheels, 17-inch wheels for models with an output of 120 kW or higher
- Style: Radiator grille with diamond pins in black, silver-painted louvre and chrome inlay; side skirts painted in the vehicle colour; chrome-plated beltline trim strip. 16-inch or 17-inch light alloy wheels (for models with an output of 120 kW or higher)
- Progressive: Diamond radiator grille with pins in black, silver-painted louvre and trim insert in chrome; side skirts painted in vehicle colour; beltline and window line trim strip chromed; visible non-functional tailpipe trims and rear apron with trim element in chrome as well as various 17-inch light alloy wheels.
- AMG Line: Diamond radiator grille with pins in chrome and silver-painted louvre and trim insert in chrome, AMG front apron with front splitter in chrome, AMG rear apron (with visible non-functional tailpipe trims) as well as AMG side sill panel in the vehicle colour, beltline and window line trim strip chromed, 18" AMG light alloy wheels. Front brake calliper with Mercedes-Benz logo, front brake disks perforated (for A 220 and higher).
- Night Package (available in combination with the Progressive Line and the AMG Line): The package includes black-painted exterior mirror housings; diamond radiator grille with pins (depending on the Line) and louvre painted in black with a high-gloss finish; rear apron with trim painted in black with a high-gloss finish; beltline trim strip and window line trim strip in high-gloss black; heat-insulating dark-tinted glass from B-pillar. The Progressive line also comes with 18-inch 5-twin-spoke light-alloy wheels in black with a high-sheen finish. The AMG Line also includes 18-inch AMG 5-spoke light-alloy wheels painted in black with a high-sheen finish as well as the front splitter painted in black with a high-gloss finish.
The Edition 1 will follow around one year from market launch. Both on the exterior and in the interior, the exclusive special model comes with numerous colour highlights in copper, such as on the pins of the diamond radiator grille. The Edition 1 is shod with 19-inch AMG multi-spoke light-alloy wheels, copper-painted with a high-sheen finish. Additional standard features include LED High Performance headlamps, sport seats with adjustable head restraints and ambience lighting. The Edition 1 is available in all engine variants and selected paint finishes.