Mitsubishi Fuso continues its global product offensive
Australian debut at Brisbane Truck Show
Fuso Canter to also be introduced in Europe in late 2011
Kawasaki, Japan / Brisbane, Australia – Mitsubishi Fuso Truck and Bus Corporation (MFTBC) used the Brisbane Truck Show (May 5 to 8) as a platform for launching its new Canter light truck in Australia. Following Japan and North America, Australia is the third major market in which the eighth generation Canter (3.5 to 7.5 tons GVW) is being offered. The truck is to be introduced in Europe in late 2011, and it will be available in more than 40 new markets by the end of 2012. According to MFTBC President Dr. Albert Kirchmann, the Australia launch is a strong symbol of Fuso’s commitment to the local market. At the Brisbane Truck Show he also announced that “Our plans call for us to continue a global product offensive in 2011, even as we focus on returning to full production in Japan.”
Truck to be distributed by Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific
The new Canter and the Fighter medium-duty truck will be distributed by Mercedes-Benz Australia/Pacific, Pty Ltd (MBAuP), which is also responsible for sales of the other Fuso commercial vehicles in the country. Headquartered in Melbourne, MBAuP is a Group company of Daimler AG and has a network of about 50 dealer locations in Australia. In 2010, about 3,400 Fuso vehicles were sold in Australia. Between 2006 and 2010, the company sold a total of about 22,800 trucks and buses. “With the launch of the new generation Canter, we bring one of the world’s most advanced, efficient and powerful light-duty trucks to our valued Australian customers,” explained Kai-Uwe Seidenfuss, MFTBC Vice President of Sales & Service International. “We believe our new product portfolio offers our customers expanded possibilities and will further boost our momentum in the Australia market.”
New Canter features BlueTec technology
The Fuso Canter is the first commercial truck to incorporate a dual-clutch transmission, the DUONICTM (6-speed automated dual clutch-type manual transmission). At the same time, the new truck marks the first use of the BlueTec emissions reduction system in the Australian market. The system is incorporated in selected new Canter models with high engine outputs. The BlueTec diesel technology optimizes combustion and treats the exhaust gas in a selective catalytic reduction (SCR) system. In the SCR system, the aqueous carbamide solution AdBlue is added to transform nitrogen oxides into harmless nitrogen and water vapor. What’s more, because of the optimized combustion process the particulate emissions are also significantly reduced.
Compared to the predecessor models, the Fuso Canter’s vehicle weight has been reduced by more than 150 kilograms. The reductions mainly affect the chassis and allow the truck to carry a higher payload. As a result, a Fuso Canter with 7.5 tons GVW weighs 2,480 kilograms (including the driver and a fuel tank that is 90 percent full), leaving 5,020 kilograms for the vehicle body and freight.
MFTBC sold around 140,700 vehicles worldwide in 2010
MFTBC is one of Asia’s leading commercial vehicle manufacturers. In 2010, the company sold a total of about 140,700 vehicles worldwide, including light, medium- and heavy-duty trucks and buses. This represents a 41.3 percent increase compared to the previous year , with most of the growth occurring outside the company’s home market of Japan. In Japan itself, MFTBC sold 115,900 units (+51.6%).
Daimler AG owns 89.29 percent of MFTBC shares, while Mitsubishi Group companies hold the remaining 10.71 percent. MFTBC is an integral part of the Daimler Trucks division of Daimler AG.